On November 20, 2013, the Department published a notice in the Federal Register (78 FR 69612) announcing its intent to establish a negotiated rulemaking committee to prepare proposed regulations to address program integrity and improvement issues for the Federal Student Aid programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. The notice requests nominations for individual negotiators to serve on this committee. The deadline for submission of nominations is December 20, 2013.
Tentative topics that the Program Integrity and Improvement Committee plan to address are listed below.
However, topics may be added or removed as the process continues.
- Cash management of funds provided under the title IV Federal Student Aid programs, including the use of debit cards and the handling of title IV credit balances.
- State authorization for programs offered through distance education or correspondence education.
- State authorization for foreign locations of institutions located in a State.
- Clock to credit hour conversion.
- The definition of ‘‘adverse credit’’ for borrowers in the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program.
- The application of the repeat coursework provisions to graduate and undergraduate programs.